Friday, September 08, 2006

Hey Folks,

Here is a good selection of the replies we got on the topic of round robin game location for the 2007 Exclaim! Hockey Summit.

The biggest concerns in having the games at York University is that it will take away from all the participants’ enjoyment of Downtown’s atmosphere and convenience and thus relegate the tournament to being blander in it’s suburban sprawl locale. Without a doubt the location of York isn’t ideal, nevertheless there is still plenty of opportunity to enjoy Toronto’s downtown colour in the mornings, evenings and any part of the afternoon you’re not at York. Players’ time at York will be between 3 and 6 hours, including travel. More, if they want to stay longer.

The opportunity of having everyone under the same roof is enormous and it can only help us in building more familiarity, camaraderie and community among us. Through entertaining each other in the central restaurant and watching each other play it will be a great opportunity for more kinship. We’ve never had this opportunity before, not even at the hootenanny. This will be the first time we are able to be relatively all together at one time. As ugly as the location can be, it’s the people that make this event great and that should be recognized and promoted.

The spirit that we generate in the round robin on Friday and Saturday along with the added Sunday spectators from being downtown, will only make Sunday more festive.

We recognize that change can be a scary thing, especially with something that you love. We owe it to ourselves to try it out. There are bound to be some failures as there are every year. On the Saturday we can have our own “Town Hall” session to discuss are most hot topics among the community including analysis of York University as a location for the tournament.

We’ll start moving forward in booking York University’s Ice Gardens. Thanks again for all the feedback and please let us know if you can help us out with any part of the coordination of the event.

Here are some answers to frequent questions that came up that aren’t addressed in the comments below…

1. We will customize the shuttle bus service as best we can for the people using it. We will have two school buses running all day.

2. As the tourney grows spectators, media and players refer to the website details on the tourney for event times and locations. This is especially relevant for Sunday because the playing teams aren’t determined until Saturday afternoon/evening. With all the games in the same place we are able to gather our information quicker and get it out on the net for everyone to see.

  • I'd totally be in favour of moving to the burbs. Get to meet more people.

  • It's a nice facility (York U.) in the middle of nowhere. I would rather drive around between rinks than have to drive all the way up there. Besides, with the multiple venues, the cup feels like more of a festival than a hockey tournament, which I like. Plus, I would miss the coziness and familiar faces at McCormick during the weekend and I think live rink rock might prove difficult at York - although the bar would be ideal. And nothing beats hanging out on the grass at DeLaSalle between games, which of course we could still do on Sunday, but not everyone plays on Sunday. I guess, all in all, I am against it

  • If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. There’s a lot to be said for York and I appreciate how it would make your life easier. If that’s the way we eventually go, we will adapt I’m sure. However, there is a real Parkdale/downtown feel to the event that will be lost if we move. Then it will perhaps someday simply be another hockey tournament.

  • I think that sounds like a great idea, at least you could give it a try and see how it goes.

  • The York facility is great, excellent rooms, good rinks, decent ice, and a bar and restaurant on premise. That said, the area around it sucks. I went to York and it is a very long ride on the subway or through traffic, and the grounds immediately surrounding the rink are crappy with no where to go and no where for kids to play. I, for one, would definitely miss the vibe of DeLasalle. I also wonder how great it would be to have a bar so handy. I can see guys having a few too many and suddenly taking the whole thing a bit too serious, or just being too wrecked to play. When I used to play league hockey at the Ice Gardens, I saw that happen more than a few times. To be honest, it wouldn't make a huge difference to me, I'm coming from North Bay anyway so I'll have wheels. I used to think York would make a good home for the tourney, but now that it may come to pass, I've got many reservations. My vote is to keep it in the downtown core, but I'm sure it'll be a great time no matter where it goes.

  • Downtown is my preference.

  • We like it. What has been missing the last couple of years, was being able to see almost all of the games at Del...watching the other games is as fun as playing and it would be great to have everyone all together ...We vote for Ice Gardens

  • I love the way it is personally… I love that you just can’t be everywhere at once and all weekend there are sidebar discussions about what’s happening at another rink. I love LaSalle, the field... being in TO. But, I am also a fan of trying new things. If you’re looking for a vote, I will vote sure, give it a shot. I could see the whole campus having a bit of a Buzz and with the artistic pieces, you could likely org rink rock inside and out. Could be very interesting.

  • I played there for 5 years or so and in terms of the actual location ... it's a great spot with 5 NHL sized rinks and 1 Olympic sized one.

  • The actual facility is a large modern ice place and its ice is always in good condition and the size of the change rooms are nice adult size (Bill Bolton anyone?)

  • Family and friends could watch the games in comfort upstairs in the bar but that depends on which rink we are playing in (some have good sight lines, others don’t)

  • It might be cool to hang out with all the teams at one place

  • Scheduling would be easier, as multiple games are going on at the same time and things would wrap up faster.

  • Parking is plentiful

  • It's way in the middle of nowhere

  • By car, getting there is not a problem, but by TTC or shuttle it would suck large. Expecting a 20-30 minute drive is optimistic, with any traffic it's easily over a half-hour drive for someone familiar with the area. And so many people don't have a car.

  • I used to take the bus to York a lot. It’s at least an hour on the bus from the junction (Dundas/Bloor). I usually find that we have a game in the morning, and then another one at 4 or so. Staying at the rink for that many hours blows (no matter how solid the community) and getting on a bus for an hour each way sort of makes leaving the facility impossible.

  • Who knows how well the shuttle bus system would work? Even by car, it can be 45+ minutes if there's traffic.

  • It should be remembered that York U is in the arse end of nowhere, and so the opportunities for brunch etc. will be sparse. The chance to go for eats/drinks with non-hockey players has always been one of the coolest parts for me, and so it'd be a shame to lose that.

  • There's nothing to do up at York beyond the rink. You're stuck there in suburbia. People won't be able to see the city or anything else between games. Having this tourney downtown is part of the appeal.

  • The arena is pretty far from the TTC drop off point, which is the main campus terminal... hauling hockey equipment or anything else would be difficult. York's campus is huge and that's a long walk, I often see players trying to thumb rides.

  • I went to school there and although it is a nice venue, it doesn't hold the appeal of a McCormick or De la Salle arena.

  • York U has does not possess the right feel for the Exclaim tourney, and lacks the charm of the downtown Toronto rinks. York U would just feel like the Exclaim Summit went "corporate", no thanks.

  • It's already impossible for my family to watch any play-off games on Easter Sunday, so they've only been able to attend on Saturday. To expect them to make their way out to York after already driving in from out of town is too much to ask, or expect.

  • Totally in favour of a trial year! Makes the most sense for so many reasons.

  • I'm ok with moving to York Because I drive. I like the fact that it would be all at one rink. You would get to watch more games and meet more of the other players in the tourney. The one bad thing about it is the fact that you will have less people (family and friends) just popping in to catch a game or two.

  • The drive out there is going to make for very long days (in that people will be stuck out there for long hours), but it would be nice to have all the activities under one roof.

  • It sounds like it would be worth trying at least once to see how it goes.

  • My first thought was no, but after mauling it over I think it’s a great idea. For me setting up York and Lee's Palace is very easy (although I don't mind doing all the rinks) but the idea of having everybody at one rink will make the event like a Hockeypolloza. The shuttle (party) bus would be a necessity and the drive is pretty straight forward it will keep people at the event longer. At your end, if the organization is easier at York then do it. To have this event grow you will need to consolidate some things in order to expand others and managing all the different rinks I imagine takes up many man hours.

  • I can appreciate how it would be much easier to run have everything under one roof. I also really like the idea of matinee lounge and an ongoing sense of community throughout the round robin. I think that has some real potential and I the potential to hang out with everyone during the day between games is a neat concept. Too bad if some of the Toronto players can no longer walk to games and continue their daily routines with little interruption. I think it will be good to shake it up a little, except for folks in the immediate York proximity it will be like everyone there is on the road. I would cast my vote for the "immersion experiment"

  • I like the "immerse" part. I will immerse myself once more.

  • I think this is a great Idea. Especially the clubhouse element at the bar. You could also consider a shuttle bus from the Downsview Subway - it's pretty close. Having the playoffs downtown on the Sunday is also an awesome "have it both ways" solution. Bottom line, if it's easier and more fun for you and the organizing committee, then the Exclaim Cup continues on as an awesome event, and you get to keep the one or two black hairs on your head!

  • I have no problem with playing at York U. I like all the pros you mentioned and even though it's not downtown the shuttle bus idea would help a lot as would car-pooling. Not a terrible inconvenience. I'm fine with it...

  • I think that the biggest advantage is that all the teams would be in the same place. It seems that the community is the overridding aspect of the league, and considering that some teams come from as far as Vancouver, I think I can put myself out for a 20-30 minute bus ride. Ultimately, you'd be able to mingle with players from other teams, which could bring a more familial atmosphere to the tournament....

  • As a spectator, I probably won't watch the games and will only go to the finals and hootenanny.

  • The drawbacks associated with locating the tourney at York are quite significant; it effectively removes the event from downtown, where people live, eat, drink, and party. However, the consideration of easing the management and coordination of the event is also very relevant. Most of us in the tourney are not in a position to appreciate this factor. If those of you who work so hard on the Summit judge that it will streamline the organizational aspect enough to warrant making the move, I think people will support that, at least as an experiment for one year.

  • I think we should stay downtown. In between games you would be trapped at the arena. More community is good if it’s a choice. And it’s an easy 45 minutes on the Saturday. Saturday driving is the worst, too many car owners who TTC all week in the burbs, drive up and down town on the weekends.

  • I prefer downtown. maybe we can get daycare set up at a rink or two downtown. teams from out of town will be subjected to the horror of the wasteland outside downtown... no fun. This whole league is all about community, let's keep the games in our groovy downtown arts-friendly community.

  • I have thought about this and I think it's a good idea. My vote is yes.

  • I kind of like the idea of having the Summit at York.

  • York is OK but very far and deterrent to family and visitors as is way out there; I have played there many times and stopped league play out there because of distance and traffic; 401 400 and Allen snarl up; nothing at all to do between games there as well

  • My 2 cents on the issue is that having the tournament in the downtown arenas gives it a special, intangible, difficult-to-define, feel that'll be lost if moved out to the burbs. Also, it'll mean a lot more driving, congestion, pollution, etc. I personally think the cons outweigh the pros.

  • You are right, pros' and cons for sure, I am not sure what to say, that is really far for the guys who stumble over to the games, but you are right about it being all under one roof and there is an on-site bar

  • Personally I think the Ice Gardens idea is wicked.

  • In my opinion, the cons outweigh the pros. It is too far away, and there will be issues with those who have to lug instruments for rink rock, or who have to get back downtown in a hurry.

  • This sounds like a great idea. The idea of consolidating the spirit of the Exclaim! Cup in one multi-functional facility seems perfect. The distance issue may be a potential problem, especially when playing two games on the same day but that seems to be a worthy sacrifice if the trade off is a better tournament experience. Also, consistent facilities should also provide more balance to the results of the tourney as some teams play well on the smaller McCormick surface while others excel on the larger, faster surfaces – now it will be the same for everybody. The best part of this idea is the central entertainment area overlooking all 4 rinks in action, as a fan that sounds fantastic! One idea for consideration, with the consolidated environment basically only impacting the round robin aspect of the tournament you may want to consider if the current format can be improved upon.

  • I think it is a great idea, but one that is bound to fail because it is so far away. Exclaim summit's charm is its downtown locations. That said, I think we should try it @ York for a year and decide then if it is worth moving back downtown. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Change is always going to ruffle feathers.

  • Sounds like a great idea to me.

  • I think at the very least it's worth a try. I have a feeling it's going to be a success, most importantly, promoting better communication and socialization. Plus, having the finals at downtown is a nice touch. Thumbs up,

  • I think it is an awesome idea! I think it would be much better than McCormick for friends and families to watch games. I am 100% for it. It also evens things up with all games being played on the same ice service and gives it a true tournament feel. Playing the same teams as regular season at McCormick doesn't feel Exclaim cool. Can't wait for it! Great Move!

  • I'm ok with the ice gardens. I like the venue in terms of the kind of facility that can cater to the summits on and off-ice demands.

  • I've played at the ice gardens for years now (every Saturday morning for the past 6 years). One thing you would have to keep in mind is the rinks themselves (with the exception of rink A) don’t offer much in the way of stands. The rinks are cold during the fall/winter months with no coinoperated heaters like De La Salle's arena. The restaurant is pricey. There is a Tim Hortons in the rink with vending machines (pop, chips and chocolate bars) just outside each rink. Parking is also a bit complicated. The real benefit of the arena are the multiple rinks. And if staying in between games is one thing that this rink allows, I would want to have a chance to view as many games as possible. Something that isn't possible with the current Del, McCormick, St. Mikes, even when matches are run after one another because by the time you race over to McCormick from Del, you miss a good chunk of the game. In other words, some planning into making sure not too many games run concurrently would make it ideal from a scheduling and fan attendance standpoint.

  • I fully support the Exclaim! Hockey Summit and would probably travel just about anywhere to be a part of it. I have no problem with the trek to York. Alot of teams are coming from out of town to play here as it is, so I have no issue driving a little further to share in the excitement.

  • I say go for York. It sounds like a cool facility.

  • I'm not for it at all. I don't have a car and would not be able to commit the extra time for travel/etc. Stay downtown!!

  • Personally I love the idea. I always find that De La Salle has a great vibe at it, and the games at other rinks come off as secondary. Having it all under the same roof would be a lot of fun. I can speak for the team that we don't really come to Toronto to see the day time sites. We've all been there enough that we're really just there to play hockey. And when we have two games on same day I don't think anyone has ever gone back to the hotel as much as we just go straight to the next rink to dry out gear on the lawn and wait. I think the potential to have an integrated event outweighs the cons. Although as you say, it may affect non-player attendance at the games. But maybe the upside will be a lot of teams hanging out watching games. The only thing that scares me is the bar at the rink... they wouldn't even let my goalie into Lee's Palace on night one last year because he was to drunk... and he was still drunk come game time... which would explain those six goals.

  • It’s worth trying at least once. If it doesn’t work, then go back to the old system. The hootenanny would still be downtown, so... part of the tourney would still be downtown and it's not like you could do much downtown, anyway, during Easter. I’ve found that during the day I’m just hanging out at the rink, anyway and if I have any time at all, it's not enough to do anything downtown. Certainly, there would be a lot of advantages and disadvantages with having the tourney far from downtown. But the drawbacks wouldn't be insurmountable and they may well be offset by the advantages. You have to admit, having 4 inconsistently constructed rinks spread out over x-miles downtown is a disadvantage itself. a lot of teams (from out of town) drive in anyway, so there's always the possibility of getting rides if you can't meet up with the shuttle service or don't want to take the train. Our team, for example, would most likely take 2 mini-vans to cover our asses. And if we stay downtown, then we don't have to worry about drinking. The only time we would have to drive is during the day when we should be sober. I’d bet that you could build a lot more around the tourney by having it at a central location. My guess is that it would enhance the over all experience. Give it a go. You’ll never know if it works better until you try it.

  • I think it is a great idea - for players, timekeepers, bands, merch table watchers etc to be all under one roof makes things simple AND really with show off how big this thing really is.

  • The full size rinks are nice.

  • I will support the organizing committee in whatever it decides, but my stomach sinks when I think of the "suburbanization" of the E Cup. I really go back and forth on this. When I think of inviting people to the E Cup, I think about showing them MY city, which includes MY rink: McCormick. Sadly, York U is someone else's rink, not mine. The new Ice Gardens complexes are complicit in the "malling" of our game-- writers of "The Death of Hockey" have made similar observations-- and that, conceptually, the whole E Cup is a cry against that uniformity, that blandess, those cookie cutter rinks, Coke machines, chicken wings and Ex/Blue. I think of the buzz of the city driving between Bolton/McCormick/McCormick/delSalle; the light of the day south on University, the Portugese Easter crush of kids/families carrying flowers down Dundas on Friday/Saturday; equipment splayed out in the McCormick park beside the rink in the afternoon; grabbing espresso/lunch on College between games; and the sense that while a lot of Toronto clears out of the city for an Easter respite, WE GET BUSY, and we FILL the CITY. Is York even part of a city (Vaughn?). I'm not against trying this as an experiment, but I want my kids to see me play on the rinks where they play. They're familiar with these places, neighbourhoods, the vibe of the rinks. It's where they go to watch mom and dad. Daycare is fine, but you cannot supplant the fresh-air park/swings/common that are part of all of the existing rinks. Schlupping in a car to fight Easter weekend traffic to head north is another issue... The argument that the Hootenany maintains a downtown vibe is valid, but what people remember most is the tournament itself, the hockey, and, so far, the home rinks have produced LOTSA fine memories. Another thing to consider: the windows, doors to the sunlight at these rinks are mere steps from the ice. I fear getting swallowed inside York's concrete bowels (or anybody's bowels, for that matter).

  • I think it's definitely worth taking a flyer on next year - consider it a worthy experiment. We all know and enjoyed the experience of the staus quo downtown at multiple rinks - we should probably try out the York experience as well and see how it goes.

  • Sounds good to me!

  • What about Canada’s wonderland?

No comments: